Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Reality bites.

One of my favourite lines from a movie is when Mortiana, the crone in Robin Hood Prince of theives says to the Sheriff of Nottingham 'something vexes thee..." when he comes into her little shop of horrors and has a hissy fit. Well that line is rather fitting for me today too. In short, ABC cancelled Invasion. Now, I tend to spend most of my tv watching time glued to HGTV, there's little on Primetime that I actually care about. I don't mind CSI at all, though I'm not 'religous' about watching it. I used to be a faithful Charmed fan, until the networks couldn't figure out which timeslot and just who would be airing it. I figure I'll just buy the DVDs and watch it uninterupted. Same goes for Dharma and Greg. Now, enter the 2005 fall line up and my heart be still, Eddie Cibrian, hottie extraordinaire has a new show out. I'll admit that he was the only reason I tuned in. At first. For about the first episode and a half. Then I was hooked completely by the rest of the characters, the storyline, everything had me. Hook, line and sinker. There's got to be a pun there somewhere, given the aquatic theme of the program.

So when the eleventh hour of the fate of Invasion came, and ABC opted out of a second year, hearts broke all over the world. To say I'm sick about it would be putting it mildly. I loved this show. I made sure I watched it, when I could find it, that is. If I couldn't watch it, I recorded it. I tuned in initially for Russell but by the closing credits of the second last episode I found myself falling for Sheriff Tom Underlay. As a writer I could see the character potential in him so clearly. That if nothing else has been a boost in the backside to get writing again. I'll definitely be buying the DVD when it comes out. And I added my name to the petition to save this show. Let's just hope they can give it another year, or at tie up movie, or something. Please, PTB, please throw us a bone. Or a sheriff, or something.

2 comments:

Jana said...

The networks and TPTB are always making iffy and really upsetting decisions. I just found out yesterday that Medium (one of the few shows I can't miss) is being pushed back to the spring instead of coming back in the fall. Guess I should just be glad they didn't cancel it. *sigh*

Anonymous said...

Hi there fellow Arien!
I'm about an hour east of Oshawa, in Brighton. I too fall under the Arien description and find myself adding; stubborn, tenacious, overly optimistic, sensitive and so on...
I have all but stopped watching TV lately, devoting all my spare time to writing since nothing on TV (Medium's end of season) had caught my eye since they ditched Hercules and Xena (she must be an Aries LOL)
Do you belong to the Toronto Romance Writers? Perhaps we should be writing our own series about the lives of ARIENS!
Nice to blog with you.
Franny
www.paranovelgirls.com